Protected Areas of Javakheti

Protected Areas of Javakheti

Protected Areas of Javakheti were founded in March 2011 upon the initiative of the Agency of Protected Areas of Georgia. WWF (World Wildlife Fund) played an important role in creating the Protected Areas. The fund managed to finddonors and implemented all the majorwork. Its aim is to protect the ecosystem of international significance and preserve the rare flora and fauna of the district.The total area of the Javakheti National Park is 13498,02 ha, most of which belongs to the Akhalkalaki municipality.

On the territory of the Akhalkalaki municipality there is the Javakheti National Park and three sanctuaries: the KartsakhiSwamp Sanctuary, the SuldaSwamp Sanctuary and heTetrobi Sanctuary. The Javakheti National Park includes Kartsakhi Lake (Khozapini) and forests of extraordinary beauty. Kartsakhi Lake is located at the altitude of 1799 m above sea level. The lake basin area is 158 km2, 58% of the lake belongs to Georgia, the remaining 42% is located on the territory of Turkey. Directly near the lake cottages for tourists are being constructed, which will be completed in the near future. It is a great place forrest and birdwatching.Over 250 different species of birds can be seen at the lake. Among rare and endangered species of birds we should point out 2 species that are included in IUCN “Red Book” and endangered species list, 6 speciesfrom the “Red Book” and endangered species list of Georgia, 12 kinds included in the African-Eurasian Migratory Waterbird Agreement and 1 species of mammals listed in the “Red Book” and endangered species list of IUCN and Georgia. Recently a flamingo was seen near the lake.

Post Discussion

Be the first to comment “Protected Areas of Javakheti”